Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Technology Standards

Technology Education in West Hartford currently refers to three groups of standards in our curriculum. The first come from our district standards, the second NET·S and the third refers to those set forth by the International Technology Education Association (ITEA). As I mentioned in a previous post we will be rewriting our curriculum next year and my sense is that we will drop one of the above set of standards (NETS·S or ITEA) and replace it with the Common Career Technical Core (CCTC) which is my area's response to the CCSS (Too many acronyms!). I am thankful that the CCTC exists as the CCSS seems to shoehorn the technology piece in at the end of the document and is too narrowly focused. 

I look at NETS·S and NETS·T as each pointing to different sides of the same equation. If you are missing one you will lack the balance needed for creating the optimal learning environment for teaching technology. And with the unique nature of this type of learning making sure the teacher is up to speed is more important than ever. 

When I think about new literacies I am reminded of how our class text refers to the internet as the read/write web - it's all about interactivity. A model where information and content (media) is not not just absorbed but created as well. One way that I want to cultivate/develop technological literacies in my classroom, that I have yet to do, is to have students collaborate to create a project or solve a problem via a digital medium/tool. Need to think about how I want to do that and where to insert into a project. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, think about using the tools for students to collaborate and communicate. ICT is often used to mean information communication technologies. Personally and professionally, I would rather see the acronym fill in for interactive communication technologies.

    I noticed the ITEA document has 2007 as a copyright date--seems outdated by now, especially because of the rapid development of interactive and multimedia technologies.

    ReplyDelete