Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tech All Over The Place

It's been a busy week for me on the Technology front. I signed up for and began using Diigo. I am starting to get the hang of it but wondering if the software offers too much. I really just want a simple way to organize and centralize my bookmarks. I am hoping I don't find Diigo to be a product that attempts to be everything to everyone instead of something that really focuses on a core competency and nails it. I am going to give it some more time and see how it goes.

I then spent some time researching and comparing Google Drive to Dropbox. I'd like everything to be as integrated as possible and would like to avoid having to navigate to eight separate web sites to enter a password and log in to use eight different web tools. I know other tools exist to streamline that process but here again we are looking at another log in and password and just on principle alone that doesn't appeal to me. I want to use a tool, not spend time fiddling, adjusting, tweaking, optimizing or managing it (which is a large part why I switched from Android to iOS when I purchased my last smart phone). I looked at a number of comparisons and it while both have their pros and cons as they always do it looks like Dropbox has better iOS integration and a more intuitive interface. I have really liked it so far.

Next up was Animoto. I signed up for an account and started collecting photos in my Dropbox to make one for a lesson that I will do sometime next week. I looked at a number of Animoto's from the links in class but one that really ended up catching my attention was one of the samples from the Animoto site. Its called "Canlis family trip to Europe" (scroll down a bit) and it really resonates with me. I think part of it is has to do with where I'm at in life with a young family of my own (a 1 and 3 year old with another on the way) and how I really look forward to doing a trip like this with them someday.



The other element of the clip that drew me in was the music. I really liked the song they picked. The tone and lyrics fit so well and it even sounded like the singers native language might be French. Right from the first few notes it felt authentic in a way that stock music doesn't. It reminded me of a Hyundai commercial from a few years ago that after seeing a few times I started thinking that what I assumed were actors signing and performing in the video might actually be musicians.




It turned out they were an actual group. And that is also true of the Canlis Animoto.The group's name is The Leftover Cuties and the song it titled "Take a Walk on the Sunny Side of Town". I also just discovered that another one of their (Leftover Cuties) songs was used for a different Hyundai commercial! Weird.

I also like the fact that the pictures in the Canlis Family Animoto aren't rotating around or spinning or bursting into a thousand pieces as they transition from one to another. I find this distracting when you see these kinds of elements in PowerPoints or Prezi's. The effects here are subtle and if the photos (and music) are compelling they should be able to stand on their own merits and speak for themselves. Feel free to remind me of the post after I finish my first Animoto and the music is boring while the pictures fly all over the place!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all these ideas. Because DropBox and Google Docs can have very different functions, I see no problem with using each and exploring their possibilities. Although you don't want another tool to look into, some people also like Evernote, which integrates well with iPads and cell phones. I use Evernote occasionally, and probably would use it more if I were teaching K-12. I remain a fan of Diigo. Each day I visit lots of places on the Web, and many are excellent resources for now and in the future. If I am good about using appropriate tags, I can find almost immediately at my fingertips on any computer what I need. This works well when someone asks me a question and they want resources on a particular topic, or when I want to go back and get a source for something I am working on (e.g. a website for class notes like those for EDUC 584 or a blog post for one of my blogs). This past summer when I was asked to write the article on Collaborative Inquiry -- shared in your class notes --- I started bookmarking resources with the tag CRA. Was glad I did that, so I could find what I needed while writing the article. Also, I can do a search with one of my tags, and the URL for that search can be shared with others looking for information on the topic. Elementary school students are already using Diigo in this way, bookmarking sites they use for class projects and tagging them appropriately. They can share a URL for a tag with peers in a group or a teacher. They can also set up a "shared" bookmark method to work collaboratively. For now, though, I suggest just using Diigo for awhile to get the feel of how it works for bookmarking with tags. Over time, you should find it a valuable resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. Although I already suffer mightily from now-where-did-I-save-that-file-itis I might also try out Google Drive. At least I'll know that a file I am looking for will (theoretically) be in one of two places!

      As for Diigo, I have quickly become a huge fan as I'll post in a soon to come blog entry.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more about the number of log ins and passwords needed. I also feel overwhelmed with the amount of time I think all of this takes, although the results for teachers and students alike do override such hassles. Thank you also for sharing the Animoto that resonated with you. After viewing I watched http://animoto.com/# (announcing Jacob). I also had a personal connection just having a abay of my own 6 1/2 months ago. You and I are on the same page with distracting elements of Prezi and at times PowerPoint. Animoto seems more streamline, although I feel like I could spend hours on trying to find the perfect music.

    ReplyDelete