Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Missing the Boat

This past week Eric Zeiberg, a 7th grader at my school, was featured in both the Hartford Courant:


 and FoxCT Now:


where they detail how Eric created an app that helps the speech disabled. Eric was inspired by his older special-needs sister, and with a little help from his dad, created the first app of its kind that converts handwriting to speech.

I had Eric as a student last year and was not overly surprised to hear about this as he is a whip-smart, compassionate and curious kid. But I couldn't help thinking that most likely nothing he learned in my class had anything to do with his amazing app. Not that I wish I personally, or my class, got any credit for its development but I wondered how many other apps, or ideas for apps, could have been generated as a result of a unit based on studying and developing them.

You would be hard pressed to find a middle schooler who doesn't use apps on a daily basis. And it’s not just middle schoolers, it’s younger children as well. It used to be that a child’s first language was English or Spanish or Mandarin or some other spoken language. These days it’s technology. Even before my oldest son could cobble together a few words to form a rudimentary sentence he could take a smart phone or tablet, swipe it open, navigate to a desired app and begin to use it. He’s no power user, or child prodigy, just one of a generation whose native tongue happens to be technology. Yet I am pretty sure that the word "app" does not appear anywhere in my curriculum. This is a missed opportunity as these are the kind of 21st Century skills and real world applications that we educators are always talking and hearing about these days and looking to incorporate into our teaching.

So what am I teaching? In one of my classes last week we covered part of my curriculum that deals with something called the Universal Systems Model. The USM is a diagram that can be used to analyze how a technology produces a result or output. Is the USM technology itself? No. Does it relate to the Engineering or Design process? A little bit I guess. Is it something that my students can use to improve their learning or increase their digital literacy/citizenship? Not really. Is it something that they can use to impact their daily life or any other area of learning? I’d say probably not and would wager that most forget it entirely a few weeks after we have moved on to a new topic.

To be fair there are many things which we do that does provide tangible, research supported, benefits for learners and has nothing to do with social media/learning or digital literacy. That being primarily the hands on work of designing, creating and testing real (non-virtual) things such as scale model bridges or co2 powered vehicles. This is a topic I’ll have to save for another post but here is a compelling article on the subject by philosopher turned motorcycle mechanic Matthew Crawford:


NPR story and interview with the same author:


When computers first came on to the school scene, Tech Ed (known as Industrial Arts at the time) to its credit was at the forefront of that movement. Even today, apart from a library or dedicated computer lab, there are few non-Tech Ed classrooms that have a full compliment of computers in most middle schools. The mass adoption and use of computers has revolutionized our world. The next revolution is underfoot and I am worried that if my discipline does not act quickly we are going to miss the boat on this one and greatly disservice our students. My department in the process of preparing for a top to bottom curriculum rewrite next year and I hope to play a role in convincing my colleagues and supervisors that we need to rethink everything that we are currently teaching and make sure we are fully equipping students for success in a digital world as they will need this fluency regardless of what career they end up pursuing. 

2 comments:

  1. Eric, this is an amazing story. I shared the link to the Hartford Courant story on Twitter using the #edchat hashtag. Word about what this kid is doing needs to be spread. This app could be a godsend for some, and to think the developer is a 12-year-old. I hope others in our class read this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that story featured on the news and was amazed that a 12 year old was able to create such an app. I sure that seeing his sister's struggles with speaking must have been difficult for him but what a great way to help her communicate. And now others can benefit. Truly amazed!

    ReplyDelete