Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Plugged/Unplugged


Disclaimer – The title of this post does not refer to making a decision about what to do, or not to do, about my hairline.

My attempts to plug into the web this past weekend were thwarted in two ways:

                1. 18,000,000,000 inches of snow (sorry if I rounded down too much)
                2. Internet/Cell service that was so slow and intermittent it made dial up look like Usain Bolt at the Summer Olympics

After sweating throught the initial DT’s due to not being able to listen to any podcasts while shoveling, I started to really enjoy being unplugged. I pretty much soak in some form of media for the better part of every day of my life. Music, podcasts, web, print, smart phone and so on. As much as i like it I wonder if it's really a good thing. Forget sunscreen, someone needs to invent MediaScreen. I would pick up some SPF 120 minutes and that way I could browse the web for a couple of hours and afterwards just go to sleep instead of having my brain race around jumping from thought to thought.

I find myself craving media. Looking forward to that semi-zoned out state of mind where time tends to slide away. Music and the web tend to be a particularly potent cocktail. These days after the kids are asleep I head downstairs with my laptop (craptop as I not so affectionately call it), sign into Chrome, open Gmail, open my Google Drive, sign into Diigo, open the class syllabus, go to the Integrating Technology blog, open my blog, open Google Reader, open a word doc where I can pre-type and fall into the interweb. An idea pops in my mind? I open a new tab and down the rabbit hole I go. A question comes up? Goodbye 20 minutes!

This is one of those times where I don’t need to go to the web (there I go again) and see if there is a study where researchers have found that the human body releases a chemical, or that the brain behaves in a way, that mimics some kind of drug when someone is surfing the web.
And it’s not just the internet, it’s the devices themselves. I see it when my wife an I have our faces buried in our phone while we are sitting on the same couch. I see it in my kids when they’re playing with the iPad with that deer in the headlights look, not responding as I yell their name through a bullhorn. I guess it’s great that they‘ll know their numbers and letters before preschool but I’m not so sure when they are miserable for an hour after it's been taken it away. What's next? Are they going to start taking old stereo’s and TV’s to the local Pawn Shop to scrape together enough dough to buy a used iPad and get their fix? And hey, I didn't have an iPad and I learned my letters and number easily by the fourth grade. 

I remember when social networking really started to take off and there was this debate about the value and authenticity of digital relationships and connections. One side proclaimed it as the future and superior to anything we had previously known while the detractors lamented the end of true human interaction. As usual it seems like the extreme arguments were just that – extreme arguments dressed up in slippery slope logic adorned with “protecting the children” or “don’t be a luddite” language, neither of which unsurprisingly ended up not reflecting reality to a great degree. I go back and forth as to which side I lean a little more towards and I think that like anything in life there has to be some balance with a dollop of moderation mixed in.
On the one hand as a result of the storm I had actual human interactions and conversations (live! real time!) with people that I would not have had otherwise. Whatever it is about adversity or tragedy that brings people together had me helping neighbors and being helped by them. Starting conversations with strangers I would have not otherwise started.

On the other hand social media positively impacted people’s recovery efforts. One site, SeeClickFix, allows users to report things that need to be fixed facilitating volunteers and local governments to pitch in and help. After Winter Storm Nemo the local New Haven community pitched in to help each other out in an effective and targeted way. Sounds like there's room at the table for both. 

Happy early Valentine's Day:



2 comments:

  1. You might want to ante up for March 1, National Day of Unplugging:
    http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug/

    Do you think we can do it?

    As for social media, it helped during Hurricane Sandy. From my home in Connecticut, I was able to organize relief and home checks on people who had to evacuate or needed assistance. I was online 7/24 helping with the connections and efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all let me say that your writing style is hilarious! If you wanted to continue blogging as a hobby after this class is over, I think people would really read and enjoy it :)

    I definitely see where you are coming from on the whole plugged/unplugged front. While it's incredible to have all these tools and access to information right at our fingertips, it becomes problematic when it takes over daily life. A previous technology teacher stressed the importance of teaching children responsible use of technology, starting with the simple rule for small children "when Mommy is talking, you put down the phone and look at her" and as they get older teaching them things like being safe online, plagiarism, etc. I feel like technology is moving faster than we are, so we're constantly in catch-up mode in our adjustments to it!

    ReplyDelete