Monday, February 25, 2013

For educational purposes..

So I finally took the plunge and created a Twitter account for school. I  would like to use it to keep parents/students informed about what's going on in class, when grades are posted and for sharing things of note related to education or technology. Not sure I'll be able to effectively do all those things from the same account (I'm pretty sure the typical 6th grader isn't particularly interested in the latest educational initiative). And of course I have to get the blessings of all interested parties first.



I have been thinking and talking about this for a while now and after being encouraged from Prof Arzt  as well as being reminded of a fellow West Hartford teacher who happened to be featured in yesterday's Hartford Courant I went for it. One of the hardest parts was coming up with a name, or at least one that wasn't taken. I still need to add some details but I hope this will positively impact my teaching and student learning!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Eric,

    This is great news. Be sure to file in your Profile with more info and to add an image (photo of you or an avatar). You should now maintain a website or blog and add that to your profile.


    If you go to my Profile, check the List feature. You will see I have a variety of Lists. This might give you ideas of others to follow perhaps on your own professional Twitter account if you don't want to follow them on your Class Twitter one.

    I also suggest following the three or more teachers at STEM Smith that are now tweeting regularly to see how they are using Twitter. Note that you don't have to follow people necessarily to keep up with their Tweets. You can add them to a List, and check that List periodically to see the tweets.

    One of my Lists is of Classroom Tweeters. You can Subscribe to that List, which means you will see it in your Lists, but you don't need to follow those people. You would just go to your List for that group, and click on it to see the tweets coming in. By seeing how these teachers use their Classroom Twitter account, you will get ideas about how the teachers connect with parents and others.


    Hope this all makes sense, but just let me know at any time if you questions about Twitter.

    If you get a chance, connect with the teachers at Smith STEM via email, phone, or in-person for some additional tips.

    Happy Tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you!Now Ethan will want to follow you!I agree-the hardest part is thinking of a clever name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari Beth,

    Now you have to let him get a Twitter account haha. And a smart phone and a tablet and a laptop and...am I forgetting anything? A job?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Eric. You have been talking about joining Twitter for a while. Glad you took the plunge. Keep us posted on how it all works out!!

    ReplyDelete