Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dear Google Reader: Tell Grandma I said hello





Like a lot of folks I was disappointed to hear that as of July 1st, 2013 Google Reader will no longer be with us. I'd like to think it will forever reside in digital heaven, rewarded for all it's good (read: free and useful) works and faithful service to the masses. Although Reader will hopefully earn instant sainthood as a result of fighting the good fight, according to the official Google Reader Blog the big G cites a declining readership and a desire to avoid the very fate that befell the Roman Empire, as it looks to focus on fewer endeavors. 

I first saw the news on Ars Technica and was struck by one of the reader comments that said, and I paraphrase, "Hey no worries, I've got Twitter!" As much as I like Twitter and appreciate how it enables the cream to often rise, I'm not completely convinced that the primary way to source information relevant to me is via the Twitterati oligarchy. I would surely miss items of value, that for whatever reason, failed to percolate up into my timeline. Not every meaningful article or link or whatever will trend or be (re)tweeted my way. I would have to put a little more trust in that community than I am willing to as this point. 

And there is even some speculation that Google is going to try to shoehorn a service similar to Reader into Google+. Social media as a major news portal seems like bit of a farce. Do we want to continue allowing the news to get even more TMZ'ed as the line between entertainment and traditional news evaporates? Please Lord, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment